Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Sci-Fi Pics...

..which were inspiration to me and my gaming buddies back in high school. Never thought it would be a long while that I would be encountering them again. These books were pretty much around in National Bookstore, especially where I saw some of them last where the Quad branch was pretty cramped and it got a lot bigger now as part of the renovated Glorietta Mall that most of us who visit Makati see it today as.



These books I'm referring to are the so-called "Terran Trade Authority" books that started back in 1978 up to 1980. Four books were made for this visually impressive series. It has even pretty good fluff writing that goes with the gorgeous pictures these hardbound books pack. But besides them there were other sci-fi themed books possibly under Hamlyn Publishing that was released at that time that deal with other sci-fi staples like aliens and so forth. Some of the visual designs have migrated to actual 3D virtual reality through the game Homeworld.


This unexpected trip into memory lane was brought about by my usual search habits in forum boards and the search led me to the images which brought my grade school and high school memories to the fore out of familiarity. Some of the weapons technology that was used in my RPG campaign which later become the galaxy spanning Twilight Empire universe was derived from these books since it was also chockfull for technical specifications and explanations though some of it is laughingly crude by current standards of high science-fantasy.


For memory lane sake and for those who want to see what I mean, I'll leave you with these links to see for yourselves. They are located here and here. For the second link, click on the sections "Spacecraft of 2100-2200 AD" and "Laguna Wars". Have a great trip looking at them and reading them up.

2 Comments:

At 5:56 AM, Blogger Vin said...

WoW! Talk about a blast from the past!! Anyway, I think I've still got those books stored away somewhere in my room. I'll try to find them so you can have a look at them again.

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger Marc Ambrosio said...

No problemo Vin. Just wanted you to show you how such old ideas and visuals never die. They just need a retread to present standards. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home