Saturday, August 20, 2005

Reading from The Land Down Under

"I come from a land down under
Where beer does flow and men chunder
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover."
                 ---"Down Under" - Men At Work

Just recently bought a new book to add to my reading library. It was booked titled "Nylon Angel" by Marianne De Pierres. Its another cyberpunk novel which is set in Australia. It was lauded by critics to be a blend of Mad Max and Dark Angel. The story revolves around Parrish Plessis, who has struggles to survive her job as bodyguard to a crime boss which she loathes and tries to escape his hold. She takes on a number of jobs which would offer her a means to escape her crime boss employer though a number of twists and turns show in the form of double-cross and usual subterfuge for dealing with underworld powerbrokers.

I was about halfway through with the book, it dawned on me that it appears that some of this is the second time I picked up a book written by an Australian. The first time was when I picked up "Ice Station" by Matthew Reilly, which I have subsequently bought his other books since it has over-the-top action sequences which can possibly break the bank if it were faithfully reproduced into an actual Hollywood movie.

I guess the selection of books I have are no longer the pure-strain American variety. American, British, Canadian, Australian, doesn't matter, as long as the story written by them interests me enough in terms of presentation, premise and concept though in no particular priority or order.

I better read on the remainder of Nylon Angel to whet my appetite for more since I also saw a sequel book called "Code Noir" in the bookstore. Better keep on reading... ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home