Tuesday, December 04, 2007

7 Days Later...

Almost like a movie title of 1/4 that of 28 Days Later. It was a crazy rush of feelings and lessons I have to deal with a week after my 37th birthday. I was pretty much facing realities about my job and how things work in this moment that we call life. I have been working 2 weeks at my new job and I get a discussion from my manager about having to shape up in 2 weeks or else I could be relocated to another facility or worse case, laid off. Lesson I realize from those two weeks, I may be over my head in this particular job field and more so that I may not adjust quick enough to compensate for the key rushes that happen for this type of job. I also sense the familiar earmarks of my former call center days in another form and intensity. The difference between those two jobs I mentioned is in terms of the time element for the queue, the call center one has one doing a call in minutes while in fast food it is seconds. Such an irony now I see being in such a business which I could possible be a customer as well.
That moment also got me stewing and pondering about one obvious thing, time is a commodity. It has been a given item of wisdom that time is a precious thing which gets spent at any moment. The thing made me think now how time can or might become a commodity if there has been a way to invest time or moreso a mcguffin element/currency that holds an equal unit of time. Though it would be quite a shadowy new economy given that time is now a commodity. It would be an idea to ponder in the longer run to consider for a story or two.
As to stories, my creative pursuits are pretty much limited to occasional drops or flashes of ideas which barely starts to fill a bucket. My time is pretty much tied up to the commute to and from work, work itself, and then the post-work winddown, which leaves very little else due to the exhaustion and limited access to the computer which I share use with my sister's pc. If I get around to saving enough money to get a computer of my know, then things can possibly turn around in that respect. Of course, it is still a toss-up between a laptop or a desktop computer given limited room to put it here for me to use in my room or in the other rooms.
As of this entry written, I have been doing my job as best I can do without getting myself hurt or making serious mistakes. I hope it counts for something to maintain my employed status.
I'll better move along on to other things besides this serious reality check I have to get in my face from time to time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home