Saturday, January 10, 2004

Circles

This is not a Ringu or Lion King oriented topic. Its more in keeping with the company gets to be in. I had a decent afternoon earlier by hanging around at my friend's comic book shop, even though he arrived rather late. As to elaborate on the mention of circles, it was something that dawned on me after meeting a number of people with similiar interests or preoccupations. Being in such company of people have a certain synergistic effect of inspiration or motivation. A cynical way of looking at it is just trying to go above and out of the shadows of these selfsame people one deals with on a day-to-day or occasional basis. That and possible some matter of hubris or envy that goes into it. Anyways, as I look at it, being in such presences has a its own pros and cons. Major pro would be one gets to be in a company of people who can help inspire or motivate oneself, especially in my case to date, creativity. The con of it would depending on these selfsame people you associate it with it also marks you as part of the group or having such preferences to these kinds of people. I can be guilty under such but I take matters of association seriously as a means to create a network as one would say in this age of Network Marketing or in the more shadier Pyramid Scam vernacular. I guess the popular saying of "No man is an island" surely holds true in this sense of things. Its helps in exchanges of idea, critique and relevant information and news. It gives one the means to be able to have a finger on the pulse, to be current so to say. Information is something of a commodity in some circles or not but information is exchanged nonetheless. I find it that interconnectivity is what makes a civilization flourish and grow and yet provides the means to its destruction. Two-edged sword this matter of information exchange. Kinda reminds me that book "Snow Crash" by Neil Stephenson, one of my favorite writers after reading that book and "Diamond Age". Still yet haven't gone about reading "Cryptonomicon" which I have a copy sitting in my room somewhere. Have to dig it up sometime when I clear out my current reading cue. Shrugs and goes back into the doghouse to dust away stacks of books and look for the some titles to read for the interrim.