Sunday, May 08, 2005

Another FCBD for the Year...

Last Saturday was a virtual holiday for my friend Vinnie since it was Free Comic Book Day that time. It wasn't totally as he described given the cost it went to having it sent here to the Philippines and the attending fees and duties payed to Customs plus all that jazz. Recently discovered this virtual holiday around last year during one of my usual Saturday visit to his shop.

The ritual on this day normally happens happens after Vinnie closes the shop and the gang troops over for dinner at a dining place of group consensus, either preplanned or otehrwise. The distribution of the finite stocks of freebie comic samples are handed out before or after the feasting. The samples distributed to the people who were at the dinner would be based on their preferences and other considerations like limited stocks and priority in the preference.

After receiving such the bag of freebies, the group would part ways since other have to get going while the others would have the usual round of karaoke to cap the night. I have to forego the karaoke part since I have a company outing to go to the following morning.

The usual suspect I got from this virtual holiday is Johnny Raygun, which is a fun independent read which is tongue-in-cheek as far as sci-fi superhero comic books go. The Bongo Comics giveaway and Star Wars comic book freebie definitely goes to my brother. The ones I consider kid-friendly and little girl friendly I give those to my niece.

I'll go back to collecting my thoughts some more while everybody here in Philippines is suffering from the vitality-sapping heat. Makes one empathize with the vampires on account of sunlight for sure. Next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home