Sunday, July 04, 2004

Weekend fun

My recent Saturday was full of sudden decisions for me, mostly turned out good. I decided to drop by Vinnie's shop to visit and also hearing about the sale the shop's having. I was partially aware about the event called Free Comic Book Day or FCBD for short.

The day later got me loaded down with a lot of freebie comics that Vinnie's shop received for the event. Quite a haul for the likes of me and other people like Dean, Nikki, Carl and others in Vinnie's circle.

One decision matter was sticking around with Vinnie and company for dinner. It was conducted at Dampa Sa Libis. It was feast of lobster, prawn, tilapia and inihaw na liempo (pork), the last item is out of place with the other seafoods but it was a welcome additional for those who may not have the systemic tolerance for it. Anaphylactic shock is a serious thing since I recalled my bro landed in the hospital after failing to notice that the fried rice he ate with his then soon-to-be wife happen to have shrimp, which he was extremely allergic to.

The feasting happened proper after the dispersion of the freebie comics loot among the gang. It would take a bit of reading through to have any reviews about the titles we have received. But all in all, it was a fascinating window to see how the comics scene goes in mainstream and independent publishers.

After the feasting, the gang decided to head over to Double Deck for few rounds of drinking, since its the place with the cheapest beer in the area. Majority of the gang had their beer while I had to settle for can of Diet Coke and Charles had a bottle of Cali Shandy. I just find imbibing alcohol, especially with a very long interval of not ingesting it would be uncomfortable. I usually end up getting itchy, warmer than normal and occasionally get a headache or too though sometimes my thought processes or motor control would get impaired.

As the drinking wears on, the gang gets to enjoy the music from the band Split Point. Andrew got to sing a song as well as Carl given how much the gang wanted to clinch the victory of singing prowess for our table. The musical sparring ended at a stalemate.

After all the drinking and listening to music, the gang called it a night. I was fortunate enough to survive a very early morning commute and a walk home without incident though the fear lingers. The only downside to the entire proceedings was to arrive at the gate of the house with my dad awake and waiting. I figured the delay in communications was my blame as far as initiative is concerned. The other consequence of having to get water two days after that since the following Sunday night's water gathering was scarce.

The following Sunday, I woke up late and was able to catch up with my parents in their room as they were watching a movie, on DVD, called Japanese Story starring Toni Collette and Gotaro Tsunashima. The movie was like part scenic road trip, part character interaction piece and some romance in it. Of course, the movie's ending didn't end exactly in a cheery note on account of Gotaro's character's death due to accidental circumstance, it pays better to look where you jump into a swimming hole. The way this movie plays kinda reminds me enough of the movie, Lost In Translation given such similiar manner of a placing stranger in a strange land kind of deal. As I said earlier, Japanese Story ends in a tragic note.

But all in all. It was a good weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home