Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Fascination with Horror

My fascination with some of these zombie flicks stems out of the initial impression of fear I have when I was young on seeing their trailers back then for any horror movie or moreso with gruesome effects. I built up some tolerance for it now given how my bizarre fascination on hearing the wild and fantastic stories connected to the horror genre, within a certain level of tolerance.

Some books helped me along with that as well as plus the mystique and fascination brought in by the Cthulhu stories. What got me drawn further in was the emergence of these "survivor-horror" games on the PS1, especially the mention of Silent Hill and Resident Evil series though I played the RE series in reverse due to thesequence of procurement at the time.

I guess the steady viewing of those episodes from Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, Tales From The Dark Side built up my tolerance slightly. Those shows that deal with the unknown also added it further: X-Files and Psi-Factor pretty much adds it in further until it makes me sure I'm ready, whether it scares me crazy or not. Of course, my fear of ghosts kinda sticks since I got unsettled by this joke pic about 2 years ago.



Ghost stories or movies pretty much put me on edge after watching such. I guess some movies would have an impact on you and gets known by your friends to be used for certain effect. Ghosts and associated wraith-like entities like in the category of Sadako from Ringu or those in Fatal Frame 1 and 2 scare the daylights out of me while doll or mannequins unsettles me less than the earlier mentioned ghosts.

My dad now tells me I have to stay away from such things since it was sticking into my head and freaks me out at times, moreso when my niece would exploit that fact to get even with me. She does here impression of Sadako at times and given how the stereotype of evil children sticks in most minds of people, it kinda heightens the edge of fear with it.

Sometimes my mind would play tricks in my mind given my prior exposure to PS1 games Silent Hill, Resident Evil 3: Nemesis and the Hellraiser-esque RPG Kult. It makes me see a brief scene playing in my head at times that draws on previous exposure and things familiar to me from everyday things.

Enough on the thoughts of scary for now. Onto other topics next time. *Closes the door to the doghouse with a brief lookaround of caution.*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home