Saturday, October 23, 2004

Romancing the Everstone



Bought this interesting RPG sourcebook "Everstone: Blood Legacy" back in September prior to my departure from my last call center job. I read a bit of the talk of this particular sourcebook for BESM d20 and decided to get it since it had an intriguing setting.

The main draw as I see it in this sourcebook was the innovative use of rune magicks to produce magical items and more so in the creation of larger and more sophisticated mechanisms like the War Golem and flying rune-vehicles. Floating islands powered by massive rune-engines also populate the landscape in this RPG sourcebook's setting.

It was kinda familiar territory in techno-magicks since I have a lot of Rifts sourcebooks in my gaming library. The setting and its innovation with rune-magicks merits a lot of potential in a more positive direction as to creating a more techno-magick styled future if a imaginative GM puts his/her mind to it. I mean it has a lot of potential to work a lot of magick in this one.

Currently it reads much of a usual fantasy fare with a touch more techno-magick than expected for such in its genre. I would like to see more examples that best illustrate this to full effect. War golems brings me to mind of Calibretto of "Battle-Chasers" fame though the comic series has yet to see the light of day as a continuing series.

I have yet to fully assess in terms of rules integration since d20 games usually require the use of AD&D staples like Player Handbook and ad infinitum books to get a good startup on this game. I see it as the usual problem with d20 setting games as opposed to other games with integral rule sets to use straight of the shelf.

Setting wise, its good and has a lot of potential. System wise, it'll be a while before I can fully assimilate and understand how this d20 system works. It'll just be a matter of time for me to acquire it and master it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home